Thu 24 Jul 2014 - 5:01 pm UTC

Home | Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Tue 26 Aug 2008 - 10:32 am UTC by easterangel

Question: Handyman association

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditions.

Tue 26 Aug 2008 - 2:12 am UTC

Question

c hris

In North America.
Does there exist an organization or association or club or representative body that represents the handyman industry?

Not diy, homeowner handymen/handywomen.  I mean for handyman businesses - professional handyman companies or professional handyman "operators".

An industry organization of some sort?

If there seems to be no dedicated organization/association. How about other associations/organizations that do cover this industry - maybe some other construction related or property-maintenance association?

Thanks

Tue 26 Aug 2008 - 2:23 am UTC

Question clarification

c hris

I realize I wasn't very clear ... because I think the answer to the primary question is 'no', the focus really shifts to the second bit - what other organizations might/should/could/do cover the professional handyman ? and how much representation for the handyman operator do they provide?

Tue 26 Aug 2008 - 10:32 am UTC

Answer

easterangel
Former Researcher

Hi c hris!

Actually there is an answer to your primary question.

The National Contractors Association of America is your best bet for such an organization. In the page where you can search for contractors, it verifies that they accept those in the handyman industry.

NCAOA Contractor Search
http://www.ncaoa.com/homeowner.php

You can also see their services which benefit contractors

NCAOA Contractor Services
http://www.ncaoa.com/misc/contractorservices.php

I hope you find this useful.

Regards,
Easterangel

Tue 26 Aug 2008 - 11:41 am UTC

Request for clarification

c hris

So you can confirm that there is no organization that SPECIFICALLY represents handymen ?

And apart from the NCAOA, anybody else ?

Tue 26 Aug 2008 - 11:49 am UTC

Comment

easterangel
Former Researcher

If you mean handyman exclusively, based on web searches I have made it seems that there is none. That's just on web searches of course, I cannot say with full certainty that there are zero organizations.

My understanding is that any organization which will represent the handyman industry and this organization takes on its responsibility. The only thing is that it also helps other contractors aside from those specifically classified as handyman.

I hope this clarifies my answer.

Regards,
Easterangel

Tue 26 Aug 2008 - 1:20 pm UTC

Comment

myoarin

Hi Easterangel,

A search with:  handyman union OR association OR organization

seems to find the kind of thing C_hris is asking about, but not on a national level.

Someone at Wikipedia would like there to be such an organization:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Association_of_Handyman_Professionals

Regards, Myo

Wed 27 Aug 2008 - 3:06 am UTC

Request for clarification

c hris

This is first time with this service so I am a little unsure what to expect - I priced my question at $25 because I wanted a comprehensive and fully researched answer.  I'm sorry but I don't think that is a $25 answer.  If I priced it at $10 I'd still be a little disappointed to get just one link to an organization that appears to be dormant or out of business.

A simple google search of 'contractor associations' for example brings up dozens of potentials.  Including sites like: www.thebusinesslibrary.com/lib/professionalsocieties/contractorassociations.php that have long lists of associations that may be relevant. I just don't get the impression that my question got this level of research.

So any more?
I won't ask for a refund but I'm not impressed so far.
Sorry to be blunt.

- C hris

ps: Is this clarification comment public? I couldn't see a way of responding privately to the researcher or 'the management'.  Odd system.

pps: And since I'm writing - your system also doesn't notify the questioner  of *all* activity on their question.  I got a email about the first answer but nothing about the follow-up answer or the user comment that was posted.  It's only luck I came back to see if anything had been said here. And there was.

Wed 27 Aug 2008 - 6:24 am UTC

Comment

easterangel
Former Researcher

Hi Chris,

First of all we're sorry that the messages didn't get to your email and the answer wasn't what you were hoping for. It's just that the data is really a little thin out there.

With the help of myoarin, I was able to locate a another one on a national scale.

Handyman Club of America
http://www.handymanclub.com/Main/default.aspx

Actually, I have seen the list you provided but did not go with it since I felt that this is not what you need and apparently I was mistaken so I apologized.

If you search at Google for the keywords: home contractors association

You will get a much more better coverage. Maybe this will come in handy as well.
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&rls=GGGL%2CGGGL%3A2006-28%2CGGGL%3Aen&q=home+contractors+association&btnG=Search

I hope this links will be helpful.

Regards,
Easterangel

Wed 27 Aug 2008 - 6:24 am UTC

Answer clarification

easterangel
Former Researcher

Sorry my comment should have been a clarification. Apologies once more for that.

Wed 27 Aug 2008 - 12:25 pm UTC

Comment

myoarin

C hris,

"Comments" on Uclue don't generate an email, hence Easterangel's "clarification to generate one so that you find his comment.
Only Researchers can post "clarifications" and "answers" that send you an email.  "Users" (like me) can only comment, trying to be helpful.

As to the Handyman Club of America, I got the impression that it is for amateurs, but perhaps such advanced amateurs also do professional work.

I hope you get a satisfactory answer.

Regards, Myo

Wed 27 Aug 2008 - 12:47 pm UTC

Uclue Admin Comment

Hi Chris,

I hope the latest clarifications have provided useful additional information. If you're not fully satisfied, a no-hassles "Request a Refund" button is there for you to use.

As myoarin explained, email notifications are sent in response to a Clarification from a researcher, but not in response to a Comment from a user. We have this policy as a courtesy to the customer, to avoid a deluge of notifications if a flurry of comments are posted to a question. In this case, easterangel accidentally posted a Comment rather than a Clarification, so unfortunately no notification was sent.

You asked about private communication. You can use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page to communicate with Uclue "off the page". For interaction with the researcher, this page is the appropriate place, by posting a Request For Clarification (which will be publicly visible).

Thanks for trying Uclue, and we hope that we may be able to provide a more satisfying experience next time.

Best Regards,
Uclue Customer Care

Wed 27 Aug 2008 - 3:56 pm UTC

Comment

c hris

Thanks to all for helping and explaining.

I guess I wanted (expected) that if there were really no good search results to answer with, I'd get more of an explanation that the search came up negative.  That index of contractor associations, for example, is not what I was looking for but a researcher who found it and checked out some of the *possible* associations could tell me "We looked into the following associations and they DO NOT provide what I are looking for. We are unable to find ...." etc.

Then I would get the feeling that it had been properly researched and the results were negative - and that's ok.  A negative result is still a result.

Anyway....

We're good.
Still friends

Thanks

Wed 27 Aug 2008 - 4:04 pm UTC

Accepted and rated

c hris

No comment.

Thu 3 Sep 2009 - 1:04 pm UTC

Comment

gregory

Association of Certified Handyman Professionals (ACHP), is a not-for-profit organization of handyman professionals based out of Maitland, FL.  We are an association of handyman professionals with the general skills and knowledge of our trade.  ACHP is open to all handypersons who qualify.  ( http://www.achpnet.org/ ) now I hope this helps because there is an handyman field out there.

Sat 1 Dec 2012 - 9:27 am UTC

Comment

sweber

There are a few handyman associations now which makes sense since the handyman industry has been the fastest growing profession in the past ten years.  We believe that it is important to belong to an association and even consider belonging to more than one.  The handyman professional in many states still struggle at getting the well deserved respect as a true profession. Belonging to an association is a privilege that every other profession has to certify them and unites them with a common interest.  I work with the UHA. The United Handyman Association at www.theuha.net.  We encourage members to become part of other associations to get the most out of the benefits offered for their business.  ACHP for example is an association that we recognize as an association with a common goal.  Although we both offer handyman memberships the main difference is ACHP offers a test to show that the handyman has a common skill and knowledge to do the job as a handyman and qualify as a member. The UHA on the other hand is more interested in screening the individual and business to qualify as a member as a properly structured business.  As for the handyman customer they can't go wrong hiring a handyman that is certified by both the UHA and ACHP.

Mon 27 May 2013 - 4:28 pm UTC

Comment

tommy

The Association of Certified Handyman Professionals ACHP http://www.handymanassociation.org is a professional handyman trade association created in 2009.  ACHP offers handyman certification and handyman membership, handyman insurance and other benefits for the handyman professional. 

ACHP is governed by a board of directors. Its Purpose and Vision is to improve an unregulated handyman industry across the US, CANADA, and the UK and connect the public with a certified handyman professional in their area.

An ACHP certification will help the handyman professional and adds value and credibility to the handyman industry. Because we are considered a “jack of all trades” a handyman must continuously evolve and learn different techniques and trends of his/her job.  Just as important is the way a handyman professional interacts and builds customer relations.  ACHP provides a place where members can interact, learn about different tools and techniques, forums and resource networking...

Thu 1 Aug 2013 - 4:24 pm UTC

Comment

sweber

Go to www.unitedhandymanassociation.org you will find that the UHA will provide all the benefits a handyman business needs. Business and individual certifications available. The handyman business and employees are screened and certified.  A must have for any handyman business now to survive in an continuously evolving industry.

© 2014 Uclue Ltd