Thu 18 Dec 2014 - 11:45 pm UTC

Home | Ask a Question | Browse Questions

EXPIRED

Question: Busiest train & bus stations in North America

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditions.

Mon 9 Apr 2007 - 3:11 pm UTC

Question

brudenell

I would like a list (limited to Top 20) of the highest passenger traffic train stations and bus depots in North America. Please list in descending order with the busiest first.

Thank you.

Mon 9 Apr 2007 - 3:18 pm UTC

Comment

probo

I think that I know why you are asking!

Am I right?

Bryan

Mon 9 Apr 2007 - 9:18 pm UTC

Comment

barneca

penn station in nyc just HAS to be the busiest train station in north america.  i have no idea about the other 39 stations.

Mon 9 Apr 2007 - 9:30 pm UTC

Comment

probo

Correct!

You have named #1

But 20 minus 1 leaves 19.

So where did the 39 come from?

John Buchan perhaps?

Or maybe another Mac problem?

Worried of Hove

Mon 9 Apr 2007 - 9:39 pm UTC

Comment

probo

Hey look what I found in Wiki:

These rail systems converge at the two busiest train stations in the United States, Penn Station and Grand Central Terminal, both in Manhattan.

Please note that I am not a Researcher!

So, please do not embarrass me by asking me to post this as my answer.

Probo

Mon 9 Apr 2007 - 10:01 pm UTC

Comment

barneca

i interpreted that as 20 busiest train stations, and 20 busiest bus stations.  that's where 39 came from.  brudenell may want to clarify if he's looking for one 20-station list, or two 20-station lists.

-cab

Tue 10 Apr 2007 - 5:22 am UTC

Question clarification

brudenell

You are correct barneca- 20 train + 20 bus please.

Thank you.

Tue 10 Apr 2007 - 2:40 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Request for clarification

Patricia

Hi Brudenell,

These are tough questions and perhaps it would be better to split them up into two, one for trains stations and the other for bus terminals, even then, it will be difficult. The closest I have come is stats for Amtrak stations and if you'd like, I can provide you with the fifty busiest Amtrak stations plus the top three Canadian stations. The busiest bus terminal is Port Authority in New York but that's a long way from a list of twenty.

Port Authority Bus Terminal
"The world's busiest bus terminal in the heart of New York City, the Port Authority Bus Terminal is the region's primary ground transportation facility, and the largest bus terminal in the United States".
http://www.mondony.com/NYTransportation.html

Perhaps someone else will have better luck, if not, please let me know if you'd accept the Amtrak list plus three Canadian stations as an answer if you split up your question.
Regards,
Hummer

Tue 10 Apr 2007 - 6:33 pm UTC

Comment

nelson

I don't think a list based on Amtrak will do.  Commuter rail, especially in the Northeast, especially in the New York metro. area, has more passengers than Amtrak.

Tue 10 Apr 2007 - 6:36 pm UTC

Comment

nelson

. . . and Amtrak does not serve Grand Central Terminal, which is served only by Metro-North Railroad.

Tue 10 Apr 2007 - 6:58 pm UTC

Question clarification

brudenell

This appears to be one of those searches that you think will be simple enough assuming that the bus or train organizations would have this data. So much for assuming...

Ok I'll split the question. Please consider this as the "Train" one.

Wed 11 Apr 2007 - 2:59 am UTC

David Sarokin

brudenell,

As you've gathered by now, this question is tougher than it looks.  No one seems to have (yet) ranked individual stations by size -- most of the available statistics are for train lines, rather than for individual stations.

However, it seems self-evident that the largest stations are in the major cities, and I'd be glad to put together a list of the major stations in the largest cities in the US, if that would be of help. 

I don't think the stations themselves, can be put in rank order, though.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

David

© 2014 Uclue Ltd