Wed 22 Oct 2014 - 12:12 pm UTC

Home | Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Mon 1 Jun 2009 - 9:18 pm UTC by davidsarokin

Question: I can't view my website internally anymore.

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditions.

Fri 29 May 2009 - 5:02 pm UTC

Question

xaevir

Hi,

I know a lot about web programming, but not a lot about networking. A client of mine had their web host changed and they can no longer view the site internally. Can you give me a few options as to why this might be happening so I can troubleshoot it. I know a bit about dns.

Thanks

Fri 29 May 2009 - 5:19 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Request for clarification

David Sarokin

Just to clarify, are you saying that when your client, from their in-house computers, types in their own url, they can't access their site?  What do they get instead...a standard 404 error?

Also, when did they make the switch to a new web host?  It's not unusual for the switch-over to take a full 24 hours to propogate itself, during which time, all sorts of bugs can pop up.  These usually resolve without any action after just a day, though.

Let us know a bit more detail on what's going on.

David

Fri 29 May 2009 - 5:26 pm UTC

Question clarification

xaevir

> Just to clarify, are you saying that when your client,
> from their in-house computers, types in their own url,
> they can't access their site?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

I just asked them if they get a 404 or not. So I will let you know asap.

They made the switch to  the new host two weeks ago. So its prob not a propagation error.

Fri 29 May 2009 - 6:52 pm UTC

Question clarification

xaevir

Ok, my client told me what they get when they try to access their site internally. They said it takes a long time and then they just get a message saying "oops the link appears to be broken".

She sent me her screenshot of the error page. I put it up at xaevir.com/broken-link.jpg

The site they are trying to view is equityretailbrokers.com

Fri 29 May 2009 - 7:15 pm UTC

David Sarokin

xaevir,

At least they aren't losing traffic.  The site appears to work fine from the outside.

Something in their system must be directing users to the old host.  I don't know how large a network your client has, but have they done a complete reboot of the system, and cleared cache, cookies, history, and temp files since the change over?

Also, make sure browsers are configured to check for newer versions of cached pages with every new visit.  In IE7, this would be under the Browsing History settings in the Tools menu. 

A colleague of mine also notes the following (thanks, mt):  "If the site is normally reachable from other ISPs but not the "in-house"
connection, it suggests some sort of hosts file exists in the internal
network that is directing requests to the former dot4 IP address and thus
circumventing a DNS lookup of the new Web host address."

Let me know if any of that helps.

David

Sat 30 May 2009 - 2:29 pm UTC

Patricia

Hi xaevir,

Try the instructions here -

WWW FAQs: Why can't I access my home-hosted website from my own computer?
http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/cantaccessmysite.html

Will look forward to hearing if that solves it,
Patricia

Sun 31 May 2009 - 2:43 am UTC

Comment

alexc

I would be suspicious of a Hosts file that is directing users to the old IP address:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

Check an internal computer to see if it has a Hosts file, and try renaming it to something like Hosts.old.

Sun 31 May 2009 - 2:41 pm UTC

Comment

zzzreyes

Hey, here is a quick way to solve the problem...
Firs, "internally" in networking terms refers to, say a computer connected to the same router that are sharing the same range of ip addresses. to be an internal network, there needs to be a common router that connects a computer to a computer. I think you don't really mean internally here.

I looked up at the domain info and got contact info, which I suppose is your client. I am just mentioning this because it is easy to get all this info once, you give us a domain name, since each has to be registered to a single person or corporation.

Anyhow, it seems that your problem is with the "hosting" company, which based on the NS records is PAETEC.NET, or if not, at least this is the important one to us, since it is who provides the domain information to the rest of the internet.

There are a number of problems that can lead to your problem, the host file, is typically not the culprit, but it could be...so worth trying. I will walk you through a quick network check to make sure that you can reach the network where the website is at, if the computer can "ping" the ip address of the server, you know it is not a networking problem and it is a dns problem.

open command promt, used to be CMD not sure what flavour of windows you are using, but sure you can figure it out... so, open it.

type:
ping equityretailbrokers.com

and you should get something like this:
Pinging equityretailbrokers.com [76.12.25.106] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 76.12.25.106: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=52
Reply from 76.12.25.106: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=52
Reply from 76.12.25.106: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=52

if you get "destination not reachable" or something else, you know that there is a netwrok problem.
Also, keep an eye on the time, that's the time it took for the information to get responded, sometimes if this is high (300+) you might not have enough reachability to get the site.

anyhow... hope this helps...

[client's name removed by Uclue admin]

Mon 1 Jun 2009 - 5:57 pm UTC

Question clarification

xaevir

Thank you guys. You were all supremely helpful. As always, uClue has always been good to me. My client is fine now.

Mon 1 Jun 2009 - 6:33 pm UTC

David Sarokin

xaevir,

If you can, let us know which particular comments helped you solve the problem, so that the appropriate researcher can collect the fee for an answer.

If it was a combination of advice, let us know that as well, and we'll figure it out amongst ourselves. 

David

Mon 1 Jun 2009 - 6:38 pm UTC

Question clarification

xaevir

davidsarokin, and zzzreyes helped the most. But the others did contribute some.

Mon 1 Jun 2009 - 9:18 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Answer

David Sarokin

Thanks, xaevir.  Glad we could be of help. 

David

Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 3:08 pm UTC

Comment

zzzreyes

David... I want my share of the REVENUES!!!! or at least answer 0r ask someone to answer my question...?!? :P

Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 3:15 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Comment

David Sarokin

zzzreyes....Hopefully, Uclue will keep growing to the point where we can take on oodles of new researchers, all of whom will be getting revenues galore.  Until then, I'm afraid you'll have to content yourself with doing good deeds, gratis.

As for your open question, I'm stumped.  Real workd business plans, in particular, are notoriously hard to come by.  But perhaps a researcher will dive in soon with an answer.  Good luck...and thanks for the assist here. 

David

Tue 2 Jun 2009 - 3:50 pm UTC

Comment

zzzreyes

yeah man... I was only kidding about the split in revenues... I wish more people would use uclue, but at the same time, like the ace under the sleeve, I rather my opponents don't find out.. ;)

Fri 26 Jun 2009 - 2:05 am UTC

Comment

can anyone help with why I cannot access www.takefiveaday.com.
Everyone that I know can but not me.

Fri 26 Jun 2009 - 9:42 am UTC

Uclue Admin Comment

Hi danversmablowhard,

Uclue is a paid research service. If you would care to post and fund a new question, as xaevir did, we'll be happy to investigate your problem.

Best Regards,
Uclue Customer Care

© 2014 Uclue Ltd