Wed 23 Jul 2014 - 1:34 pm UTC

Home | Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Tue 16 Jun 2009 - 4:40 pm UTC by thx1138

Question: Baseball Players and Oral Cancer

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditions.

Fri 5 Jun 2009 - 8:52 pm UTC

Question

catness

I would like to find the total number and names of baseball players who:

a. Played major league baseball at any time during the period of 1929-1998
b. Developed oral cancer at some point in their life (of any type, but please list the type if it is available)
c. Whether or not they smoke/drank/used smokeless tobacco. 

FYI - this is for a University project... I am independently trying to come up with these facts myself, but I'd be grateful for independent verification of my own numbers.  What I have done so far is simply tried to find the number of baseball players with oral cancer who have been reported on in the news (all of them so far played sometime between 1929-1998).  If you can't find what kind of cancer, or whether they smoked/drank/used tobacco, at least list the player and that the info wasn't found.
Many thanks!!

Sat 6 Jun 2009 - 1:09 am UTC

Uclue Researcher Request for clarification

David Sarokin

At this link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GPTB_enUS289US289&num=100&q=cancer+-zodiac+site%3Awww.baseball-almanac.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

there are about 1,000 mentions of cancer and baseball players. 

Most of them seem to be actual incidents of players with cancer, though some are not (e.g. mentioning donations to a cancer fund). 

I don't see any manageable way to extract information on which player had what cancer...especially when combined with the need to focus on players from a certain range of years. 

Perhaps the link will be helpful to you, though, in thinking through options for getting some useful information.

David

Sat 6 Jun 2009 - 1:13 am UTC

David Sarokin

Actually, on closer look, many of these are NOT about players with cancer, so the list may be of limited use.

Sat 6 Jun 2009 - 5:36 am UTC

Paul

Hi catness,

Actually The Oral Cancer Foundation has a page specifically for Sports Figures.
As it lists baseball players who have had mouth cancer from 1914 (Babe) - 1997 (Brett Butler) I'm wonderng if the players they mention is the total.  What do you think?  Below are the players mentioned:

Babe Ruth (player from 1914 to 1935.)
Smoked
"nasopharyngeal carcinoma"

Brett Butler (player from 1981 to 1997)
Chewing tobacco
"Squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsils"

Bill Tuttle (player from 1952 to 1963)
Chewing tobacco
"Squamous cell buccal carcinoma"

Curt Flood from (player from 1956 to 1971)
Smoked
Throat Cancer

Main source:
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/people/sports_figures.htm

All the best

THX1138

PS.
I would have thought that if there had been any other Major League players that had contracted oral cancer, The Oral Cancer Foundation would have included them in their list. 
Are you aware of any other MLB players that have had mouth cancer?

Sat 6 Jun 2009 - 8:25 pm UTC

Question clarification

catness

I think that actually may be it - oral cancer is rare, and I think there were actually only four on my list who had it as well, but I will have to check when I get in to work on Monday.  I'll just leave this question open until then, if that's ok?

Sat 6 Jun 2009 - 8:57 pm UTC

Bobbie Sevens

Catness,

Here's a bit of interesting information.

"It is estimated that about 40 percent of all major league baseball players and about 30 percent of all minor league baseball players chew tobacco or dip snuff. One study found that about 59 percent (83/141) of major league baseball players that use smokeless tobacco already have lesions that may develop into cancer."

"Dr. John Greene, a former dean at University of California at San Francisco Dental School, examined 141 professional baseball players during spring training. According to the April 9, 1998 edition of the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper, fifteen players had serious lesions that required biopsies. It was reported that Curt Schilling, an excellent pitcher, quit using snuff after a dangerous lesion was detected in his mouth."
http://parenting.ivillage.com/teen/thealth/0,,3xz1,00.html

Bobbie7

Mon 8 Jun 2009 - 6:06 pm UTC

Question clarification

catness

Thank you all for that information - and yes, that is interesting, bobbie7, especially considering the oral cancer rate for this group (if numbers are correct) is shaping up to be lower than the general population.

At any rate, I am not sure if the work done has so far been worth $75, but please let me know if that is incorrect (I was picturing a large database search rather than just a few websites that pop up as already having the information).  If possible, I would like to add another question that relates to this, and that would be to find every named individual who got oral cancer and it is popularly attributed to using smokeless tobacco.  This shouldn't be too hard to find, as generally speaking, individuals with oral cancer tend to be very prominent in the media.  Let me know if I need to pay more, or if it can be included in the cost for this question.
Thank you all again.

Wed 10 Jun 2009 - 2:37 pm UTC

David Sarokin

catness,

Three things:

1.  I came across this study, which may be of interest to you:

http://www.cda.org/library/cda_member/pubs/journal/jour598/tobacco.html

It doesn't name names, but it does zero in on chewing tobacco use in baseball

2.  You wrote that you want to:  "find every named individual who got
oral cancer and it is popularly attributed to using smokeless tobacco." 

Do you mean just in baseball, or more generally?

Even though oral cancer is uncommon, there are still many thousands of cases each year, so finding mentions of everyone with a report of oral cancer and chewing tobacco may be more of an undertaking than you imagine. We can certainly find demographic information on oral cancer (number of cases and deaths each year), and can find examples of individuals with the disease, but a comprehensive list of individual names is probably not going to happen. 

3. You also wrote:  "I am not sure if the work done has so far been worth $75". 

No one has yet posted a formal answer to your question, so it remains open.  If you still feel you need more information on the question at hand, can you clarify for us what you need, and particularly, what additional information would make the answer worth the full price you listed. 

If you feel the question has been answered to your satisfaction, let us know that as well, so we can close the question out.  If no formal answer is posted to the question, it will expire in a week or so, and you will automatically receive a full refund. 

Hope that's clear, but let me know if anything about the process is uncertain at this point. 

David

Thu 11 Jun 2009 - 5:22 pm UTC

Question clarification

catness

I actually was thinking more along the lines of prominent media figures who have been vocal about their battle with oral cancer, and it is attributed to a smokeless tobacco habit.  If that is too involved, no worries, I can just leave this out of the original question.

The only additional MLB player I found that had oral cancer was Jim Thorpe, so maybe our lists are fairly complete (they just seem small to me, but that doesn't make them incorrect).  If no one has any further info, I guess we can complete the question.

Thanks again.

Tue 16 Jun 2009 - 4:40 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Answer

Paul

Hi catness,

There is another baseball player (but not MLB) who developed oral cancer, Rick Bender, former semi-pro baseball player  used smokeless tobacco for 10 years until he fell victim to oral cancer. (in 1989)
After using snuff for 12 years, Bender had four operations for undifferentiated squamous cell carcinoma at the ages of 26 and 27.
http://www.tobaccofreemc.com/press%20releases/bender.htm

I would also suggest that you contact The Oral Cancer Foundation to see if they are aware of any other players that might have had oral cancer.  Their contact details are:

Address: The Oral Cancer Foundation
3419 Via Lido # 205
Newport Beach Ca. 92663

Phone: (949) 646-8000 
Fax: (949) 496-3331
Email: info @ oralcancerfoundation.org (remove the spaces)

Executive Director:  (949) 278-4362

===============================================================

Babe Ruth (player from 1914 to 1935.)
Smoked
"nasopharyngeal carcinoma"

Brett Butler (player from 1981 to 1997)
Chewing tobacco

Bill Tuttle (player from 1952 to 1963)
Chewing tobacco
"Squamous cell buccal carcinoma"

Smoked
Throat Cancer

Main source:

All the best

THX1138

Wed 17 Jun 2009 - 4:23 pm UTC

Accepted and rated

catness

Thank you all for your help.

Thu 4 Feb 2010 - 1:16 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Answer clarification

Paul

Hello again Catness,

I have just been reading a book on "Google Books" which reminded me of your question, I have copied a passage below, but the whole article might be of interest to you.

"Subtle brains and lissom fingers, and other papers"‎ 1863 Page 214

"I have received several communications from professional friends, strongly indicating the strength and extent of medical testimony against the use of the poisonous weed [tobacco], and out of these I have selected one sent to me by a physician who has long enjoyed extensive opportunities of witnessing the very prejudicial effects which tobacco-smoking exercises on the digestive organs. " In the course of my professional experience," he writes me, " two or three cases of decided carcinoma of the under-lip, all of which terminated fatally, have come under my care, and which could be unmistakeably traced to a sore, occasioned by a burn from a hot cutty pipe."
http://books.google.com/books?id=2jACAAAAQAAJ&dq=tobacco%20Counterblaste&lr=&as_brr=3&pg=PA214#v=onepage&q=&f=false

All the best

THX1138

© 2014 Uclue Ltd