Sat 22 Nov 2014 - 2:01 pm UTC

Home | Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Wed 28 Oct 2009 - 1:41 pm UTC by davidsarokin

Question: Number of hospital beds in the USA

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditions.
The customer tipped the researcher $5.00

Tue 27 Oct 2009 - 7:11 pm UTC

Question

woollyisland

Hello,
I am looking for information relevant to the health industry. Specifically the number of hospital beds in the USA that are affiliated with accreditated hospitals, i.e. there may be 5000 hospitals with 200 beds each for a total of 1,000,000 beds.
If it could be further refined into what percentage or number are private hospitals that would be even more relevant.
Thank you.

Tue 27 Oct 2009 - 7:39 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Request for clarification

David Sarokin

wollyisland,

Can you clarify what you mean by "accreditated hospitals".

I am familiar with accreditation by the Joint Commission, but data sources on hospitals that I know of don't specify whether bed counts are from accredited or other types of hospitals. 

David

Wed 28 Oct 2009 - 12:59 pm UTC

Question clarification

woollyisland

Hi David,

Thanks for your interest in the question and soory for the the confusion I created by the misspelling!Yes, I am referring to accredited Joint Commission hospitals in the USA. I would prefer to have the number of accredited hospital beds only, but if that information is not available then the stats on the total number of hospital beds would suffice. If data was readily available for the total number of accredited hospitals in the USA that would be helpful as well.
Thank you.

Wed 28 Oct 2009 - 1:41 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Answer

David Sarokin

woolyisland,

Thanks for your clarification.

First off, the numbers you picked (arbitrarily?) to illustrate your question turned out to be right on target, at least for the total universe of hospitals in the US. 

According to the American Hospital Association:

http://www.aha.org/aha/resource-center/Statistics-and-Studies/fast-facts.html
AHA Fast Facts

there are 5,708 hospitals in the US, with a total of 945,199 beds. 

The above link also breaks out hospitals by various categories, such as non-profit, for-profit, federal, and even institutional (such as prison hospitals). 

They do not, however, offer stats on accredited vs non-accredited, and as I mentioned earlier, I am not aware of any sources of such statistics.  There is some strange contractual language at the AHA site about the Joint Commission not providing statistical data on its hospitals.  Here's a link about it:

http://www.aha.org/aha/advisory/2006/060525-quality-adv.pdf

meant as an FYI, though I don't really suggest it merits a read.

The Joint Commission itself is oddly quiet on precisely how many accredited hospitals they have.  Their 2008 report:

http://www.jointcommissionreport.org/pdf/JC_2008_Annual_Report-updated.pdf
Improving America's Hospitals

offers two relevant tidbits, though:

"Nearly 90 percent of the hospitals in the United States comply with The Joint Commission’s standards and other accreditation requirements to achieve the delivery of safe, high quality care."

"More than 3,000 hospitals contributed data [to the report]"

I'm afraid that's as close as I can get you.

One final thing, though.  The US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality has an online database of all US hosptials:

http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov/HCUPnet.jsp?Id=19F683FF41A034ED&Form=MAINSEL&JS=Y&Action=%3E%3ENext%3E%3E&_MAINSEL=Hospitals%20Like%20Mine

By selecting Year 2007, you can walk through the dataset, and choose any criteria of interest to generate national statistics.  It may be useful to you (even though accreditation isn't one of the criteria!). 

Let me know if you need any assistance with it, or any more information on your question.

All the best.

David

Wed 28 Oct 2009 - 5:35 pm UTC

Accepted and rated

woollyisland

Thank you very much for this fast and accurate answer.

© 2014 Uclue Ltd