Thu 24 Apr 2014 - 12:56 pm UTC

Home | Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 7:42 pm UTC by scriptor

Question: European train passengers

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditions.

Tue 5 Oct 2010 - 10:15 am UTC

Question

dankirk

This is a question for someone who speaks French, Italian, German, Spanish and/or Dutch.

I would like to know how many people in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Belgium or Holland travel from one of those countries to the others by train.

EXAMPLES
- How many visits do French people make to each of Italy, Spain, Germany, Belgium and Holland by train each year?
- How many visits do  Italians make to each of France, Spain, Germany, Belgium and Holland by train each year?
- etc

MORE INFO

The statistics are useful even if not all the countries above are covered. So it's useful to know how many French people travel to Germany by train, even if we don't know how make visits they make to the other countries listed.

I *don't* need:
- Info on any mode of transport other than train
- Info on travel within a country by train (so stats on how many Germans travel by train each year are no use, the figure is largely for commuters and inter-city trips)
- Info older than 2007

Useful if you happen to come across it (but not worth searching for specifically):
- Purpose of visit (business or leisure)
- How they buy tickets (in station, online, by phone)
- How far in advance on average tickets are bought
- Average price paid for tickets
- Stats for travel to other European countries beyond the main ones listed above

I have tried Googling this is English without success, so really do think it needs someone with appropriate language skills.

DEADLINE

The absolute latest deadline for this is 8am GMT on Mon 11 October 2010. However, it would be great to have it sooner.

BACKGROUND
Thanks to Leader's excellent answer to a previous question of mine (http://uclue.com/?xq=4015) I now know that there are UK government statistics I now know that there are equivalent UK government statistics. In case they're of interest, these are here. See Table 25, column labelled 'tunnel':
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/theme_transport/MQ6-Q4-2009.pdf

PAYMENT
I'm open to guidance on this, but suggest payment of $25 for stats regarding residents of one country travelling to all other countries (the equivalent of the UK resident stats above). For each additional country I will tip an additional $20 to a maximum of $100.

Tue 5 Oct 2010 - 9:23 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Request for clarification

Oliver Scriptor

Hello dankirk,

This is not yet an answer; I would like to see what you think of what I was able to find.

Te data you desire is most likely not readily available for most European countries. But I have located official EU statistics on the number of border-crossing railway passengers. I'd say that this is the best we can expect. All data that is missing there had probably not been recorded by the EU bureauceats. Have a look at the data, and if you consider it useful, let me know, so I can provide you a link to the EU database where customized railway traffic statistics are available.

Greetings,
Oliver

2009 European border-crossing railway passengers
(from the country of embarkation to the reporting country)

FRANCE
to Italy: n/a
to Spain: 278,000
to Germany: 543,000
to Belgium: 1,246,000
to the Netherlands: n/a

ITALY
to France: 779,000
to Spain: 16,000
to Germany: 425,000
to Belgium: 1000 (2008 data)
to the Netherlands: n/a

SPAIN
to France: 241,000
to Italy: n/a
to Germany: 1,000 (2008 data)
to Belgium: 1,000 (2008 data)
to the Netherlands: n/a

GERMANY
to France: 337,000
to Italy: n/a
to Spain: n/a
to Belgium: 137,000
to the Netherlands: n/a

BELGIUM
to France: 2,013,000
to Italy: n/a
to Spain: n/a
to Germany: 58,000
to the Netherlands: n/a

NETHERLANDS
to France: 570,000
to Italy: n/a
to Spain: n/a
to Germany: 678,000
to Belgium: 452,000

(from the reporting country to the country of embarkation)

FRANCE
to Italy: n/a
to Spain: 276,000
to Germany: 681,000
to Belgium: 1,686,000
to the Netherlands: n/a

ITALY
to France: 789,000
to Spain: 15,000
to Germany: 396,000
to Belgium: 1,000 (2008 data)
to the Netherlands: n/a

SPAIN
to France: 247,000
to Italy: n/a
to Germany: 4,000 (2008 data)
to Belgium: 2,000 (2008 data)
to the Netherlands: n/a

GERMANY
to France: 580,000
to Italy: n/a
to Spain: n/a
to Belgium: 259,000
to the Netherlands: n/a

BELGIUM
to France: 2,003,000
to Italy: n/a
to Spain: n/a
to Germany: 155,000
to the Netherlands: n/a

NETHERLANDS
to France: 564,000
to Italy: n/a
to Spain: n/a
to Germany: 1,019,000
to Belgium: 941,000

Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 9:51 am UTC

Comment

myoarin

Trying to understand some of the anomalies of the numbers, I recognized that "Germany to Spain" is via France; Netherlands and Germany to Italy is also via the intervening countries.  Thus, those statistics reflect first border crossings, but not always the final destination.
The figures from Italy show small numbers to Spain and Belgium, too small, suggesting that these have been taken from a different source, also the Italy to Germany figures..

Obviously, most train travelers will return home the same way, suggesting that none of the numbers reflect how many residents of one country visit the other countries.

I hope other EU statistics are less muddy.

Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 5:05 pm UTC

Question clarification

dankirk

Thank you Oliver for your stats and Myoarin for your comments in the strange things about them.

Oliver - as Myoarin points out these figures are a bit strange as I'm really looking for where people are ultimately going, not just the first border they happen to cross on the way. I guess that's what's good about the UK government figures - they shown how many UK residents went to Poland by train, even though of course they all went through France on the way.

If you can find better statistics, equivalent to the UK ones, that would of course be better and justify more money. However, if this is the best that is available you're welcome to post it as the answer. It definitely worth at least $25.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 5:28 pm UTC

Oliver Scriptor

Hello Daniel,

the figures are indeed rather strange. The thought that they might already be the best that's available is a bit disappointing for me. But since the nationality of train passengers is not recorded when they buy their tickets - at least not in the continental European countries -, I suspect that no statistics exist that are more reliable (or more transparent in the way they are calculated).

I will leave this question unanswered for one more day, so in case one of my Uclue colleagues discovers more precise data (although I doubt this) you will get the best that can be found. If none of them can provide you a better answer, I will gladly follow your invitation and post an answer, including the link to the respective EU database.

All the best,
Oliver

Wed 6 Oct 2010 - 8:33 pm UTC

Comment

myoarin

Hi Scriptor,

I hope the EU statistics explain a bit how they were collected.

For example, maybe ideally for Daniel, based on ticket sales in the countries of embarkation.  That could explain some of the remarkable differences back and forth between countries, people usually buying a return ticket.

But the "n/a" for some destinations puts that idea in question.

Belgium-France is a special situation:  EU traffic, especially between Brussels and Strassburg.

Regards,  Myo

Sun 10 Oct 2010 - 7:42 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Answer

Oliver Scriptor

Hello Daniel,

since it seems that none of my fellow Uclue researchers found more in-depth, more thoroughly documented data, I decided to follow your offer and post an answer now. I regret that there seems not to be a better set of data, but I hope that this will be at least of some use for you.

The source is this EU database for transport statistics:
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/transport/data/database

To find the data, select "Railway transport" -> "Railway transport measurement - passengers" -> then choose the precise topic.

All the best,
Scriptor

Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 3:04 pm UTC

Accepted and rated

dankirk

Shame you couldn't find more reliable figures, but appreciate the help from Scriptor and also all the other useful comments.

© 2014 Uclue Ltd