Fri 25 Jul 2014 - 1:39 pm UTC

Home | Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 12:28 am UTC by kniffler

Question: Need to pull a list from website.

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditions.
The customer tipped the researcher $10.00

Fri 18 Oct 2013 - 11:09 pm UTC

Question

mfanise

On http://www.aspca.org/adopt/shelters?location=33496&radius=5 you will find that you can enter a zip code and it can give you a list of animal shelters around that area code. I would like to pull that entire list of shelters in the USA and put them in a cvs file in the following format: name, address, second address, city, state , zip code, phone , email address.  Please only respond if you can actually do the process for me and email me the cvs file already done.  Thank you.

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 12:16 am UTC

Uclue Researcher Request for clarification

David Sarokin

mfanise,

Thanks for posting your question. I just wanted to let you know that I've done a fair amount of list extractions in the past, but didn't see a ready way to pull this one off the site.

I'll give it some more thought, though, and let you know if something comes up. Other Uclue researchers may give it a shot as well, so keep your fingers crossed.

David

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 1:13 am UTC

Question clarification

mfanise

Ok. Thanks.  I'm not married to that website, but I am looking for a COMPLETE email list of all shelters (especially SPCA and humane society) throughout the USA.  There is a website called petfinder.com ... please dont use that one , since many of their entries do not have email addresses.   So if you can find it somewhere else then that would be fine too.  

Btw I am also looking for an email list of all veterinary hospitals and clinics throughout the US.   You may go to heartgard.com.  They have that complete list but it doesn't include email addresses.  If u can extract that list and find a way to add email addresses that would be super. ( I would post another request for an additional $75.  And if you can't include the email addresses I would still want it ... but for $50.  Thanks so much.

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 1:32 am UTC

David Sarokin

mfanise,

Take a look at the lists here:

http://www.dogloversdigest.com/adoption/state-list-of-shelters-and-rescue-organizations/

They include emails as well as addresses, and are organized by state. It would be too much work for me to extract all the emails, but perhaps this is a resource you could use to identify what you need.

Two things to note:

--even though this is a dog lovers page, the list of shelters are not restricted to dogs

--the source of the list is petfinders.org, who made it available to this site. Perhaps they'll give a copy to you as well, if you contact them.

Hope that helps.

David

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 1:45 am UTC

Question clarification

mfanise

If you were to do it and put it in a cvs file, what would you charge?

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 2:46 am UTC

David Sarokin

mfanise,

Take a look at this spreadsheet for the Alabama shelters:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlsXZG13-t3BdEszVnlPQlViWGsxeVNsYm41blVLX0E&usp=sharing

If that format works for you, I can do as many states as you like -- all in a single spreadsheet -- at $4 per state (ie, $200 for the entire US).

Let me know how (or if) you want to proceed on this.

David

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 3:02 am UTC

Question clarification

mfanise

Is there any way that you can make each field seperate.  I'm looking for it in csv format.  Ty.
Also -- how long will it take you to finish?
Can you give me a count of how many EMAIL ADDRESSES there are before you start.

If you do it the way I need it I will give you $300

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 3:15 am UTC

David Sarokin

Sorry, but I don't see a way to get it into a neat field-by-field set-up. Unfortunately, the initial listings aren't in standardized format, which makes it tough to import into a csv/spreadsheet format.

I don't know how many emails are in the entire list, but there are 203 in Alabama, and probably many more in states like California, which should at least give you an idea for the country...say, 300 x 50 = 15,000 emails.

If you give me the go-ahead (for the format I posted earlier), I can finish up in about two days.

David

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 3:40 am UTC

Question clarification

mfanise

Can u at least put the zip codes next to the email addresses in a csv

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 1:02 pm UTC

David Sarokin

mfanise,

It sounds like you may need the data formatted in a way I can't provide.

Your request is certainly reasonable, and probably seems like only a minor adjustment to the data. However, the actual process of distinguishing zip codes from other numbers, and then moving them all to the correct location, is quite complicated. I'm afraid I can't accommodate you on this one.

Again, it may be that petfinders.org can give you a full list in a format that works for you.

Best of luck,

David

Sat 19 Oct 2013 - 9:53 pm UTC

Daniel Kniffler

Petfinder do provide a data API, which appears to be powering the ASPCA site as well as DLD. Getting the fielded data from that is relatively easy, but the terms of service do set some conditions on the use of data.
http://www.petfinder.com/api-terms-of-service/

Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 12:28 am UTC

Uclue Researcher Answer

Daniel Kniffler

Using the lists from dogloversdigest.com as a basis, I produced a CSV as found here: http://sdrv.ms/1bJSnT5

It took a bit of finagling in Excel, but it cleaned up ok, and the results accord with petfinder and the ASPCA listings.

There are 12,354 records with email addresses.

Best regards,

DK

Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 3:35 am UTC

Request for clarification

mfanise

This is fantastic.   The only small thing I notice is that some of the zip codes that start with 0 are missing the 0.  Can you correct that and I will accept your answer.  Great job!

Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 3:55 am UTC

Request for clarification

mfanise

I will be posting another question/request for an extraction of a list.  This a bit harder but let's see what you can do with this one.  I will be posting this for $100.

I need to extract the entire veterinarians list from
http://www.heartgard.com/Pages/fnd.aspx.  It can be in excel format.  Name, address, second address, city, state, zip, phone,

This is a great list but the only problem with the list is that it doesnt contain email addresses.  I will accept the list as as for the 100, however I would be willing to pay double (200 instead of 100) if you found a way to pull email addresses from another place and add as many email addresses as possible to the list from heartgard.  I would need at least 65% of the file to have the email addresses in order for me to pay the double amount.

Anyway I will post this soon.  Ty.

Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 5:23 am UTC

Uclue Researcher Answer clarification

Daniel Kniffler

Hi mfanise,

Glad I could help.

I've amended the file to hold the zero-led zip codes correctly. Sorry about that. The link is the same. http://sdrv.ms/1bJSnT5

Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 11:33 am UTC

Request for clarification

mfanise

Hi Daniel

I am still not seeing the 0 before the NJ zip code for example. 

Can you please look into that.  Also I have posted my other request already.

Thanks a million.

Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 2:00 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Comment

David Sarokin

I think that Daniel has to save the file as an Excel file (xlsx) rather than a csv file in order to retain the special formatting needed to preserve the leading zeros in the zip codes.

And while I'm at it, I just want to say how impressed I was to see the finished product. It was beyond my meager skills, I'm afraid, but I'm glad Daniel was able to get it for you.

David

Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 7:08 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Answer clarification

Daniel Kniffler

The CSV file really does have the zeroes, but unfortunately opening it normally in Excel will immediately remove them again. I assume that's what's happening here. As David says, this could be remedied in an xls or xlsx file by setting the column format to text, but not within the CSV itself.

The way to get round this (i.e. to view a CSV as-is, but in Excel) is to force Excel to give you the Text Import Wizard. I usually change the file extension to .txt and then do a File->Open. (You could also use the "Get External Data"->"From Text" option). In the Text Import Wizard, click through selecting "Delimited", by "Comma", and then highlight all the columns and ensure they are set to "Text".

In case that sound like a bit of a faff, I uploaded the xls version here: http://sdrv.ms/1gXWSNJ

Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 7:20 pm UTC

Accepted and rated

mfanise

Daniel.  Thanks so much. You did a great job.

Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 7:24 pm UTC

Comment

mfanise

Daniel

Can you look into my other request for an extraction of the list from http://www.heartgard.com/Pages/fnd.aspx.%C2%A0. Ty

Sun 20 Oct 2013 - 7:45 pm UTC

Uclue Researcher Comment

Daniel Kniffler

Glad I could help. And thank you for the tip.

I have started looking at the other request now.

© 2014 Uclue Ltd