Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Mon 5 Nov 2007 - 10:07 pm UTC by pinkfreud

Question: do dogs sweat

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditionsT&Cs.
The customer tipped the researcher $3.00

fjg064 

5 Nov 2007 20:47 UTCMon 5 Nov 2007 - 8:47 pm UTC 

a very simple question....i am not talking about panting. i am talking about sweating, even if it is miniscule...i have visited many websites..dogs seem to have sweat glands in their paw pads...and maybe some other places on/in their bodies...my question is: does any sweat even a very very very little come out of any of these places where the dog's have sweat glands. i know you will give me some websites. i will even take one that says they don't sweat at all, at all means no sweating...i don't care if it is .000001 ounces. as you can surmise, i have a bet on this....probo, you can add your thoughts but i will but since you are not an answerer, i will of course pay the answerer who first answers my question, even if i dont like the answer...thank you fjg064

pinkfreud 

Answer

5 Nov 2007 22:07 UTCMon 5 Nov 2007 - 10:07 pm UTC 

There are two kinds of sweat glands: apocrine (or epitrichial) glands and eccrine (or atrichial )glands. Dogs have both.  When it is said that dogs sweat mainly from their foot pads, this refers to the eccrine glands. Since dogs do not sweat as a method of regulating their body temperature, the amount of fluid that a dog loses by sweating is small.

"Each day a dog loses water through its urine, feces, saliva, breath, and sweat. Unlike humans and horses, dogs do not lose much water due to sweating."

Hydration Strategies for Exercising Dogs
http://www.hydrolyte.us/Arleigh%20Reynolds-Hydration%20Strategies.pdf

"In dogs the secretions of the sweat glands do not have a perspiration function (thermoregulation). In dogs, sweat is believed to have pheromonal and antimicrobial properties. (Scott, 2001; McEwan Jenkinson, 1989)"

http://publications.royalcanin.com/renvoie.asp?type=1&cid=107653&id=102348

"Do dogs sweat?
Yes and no. The dog's dermal skin layer has two types of glands that produce fluids. The apocrine glands, which produce sweat in humans, have two other functions in dogs — they help seal the outer layer of the epidermis and they secrete pheromones that give dogs a distinctive body odor. The eccrine glands in the pads of the paws do produce a watery secretion similar to human perspiration. This secretion leaves damp pawprints behind nervous or stressed canines and may also improve traction for a quick getaway."

Canis Major: Canine Skin
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/skin1.html

"Dogs do not produce sweat for thermoregulation. However, they do have sweat glands, called apocrine glands, associated with every hair follicle on their body. The exact function of these is not known, but it is suspected that these are meant to produce pheromones or chemical signals for communication with other dogs. These sweat secretions probably produce an individual odor signal that is recognizable by other dogs.

Dogs also have sweat glands on the pads of their paws and on their noses. These are eccrine glands. When these glands are active, they leave the nose and pawpads slightly moist and help these specialized skin features maintain their functional properties. The odor associated with dog paw pads is much more noticeable on dogs with moist paw pads than on those with dry pads.

Dogs also have numerous apocrine glands in their external ear canals. In this location they are referred to as ceruminous glands."

Wikipedia: Dog Odor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_odor

Dogs also sweat from their nether regions:

"Apocrine sweat glands in the circumanal glands of the dog appear to be more active than those on the general body surface in terms of apocrine secretion, exocytosis, and the release of multivesicular bodies. Shed secretory cells containing large granules, as well as degenerated polyhedral cells from the circumanal glands, might contribute, to some extent, to the subtle composition of sweat from these apocrine sweat glands."

Apocrine sweat glands in the circumanal glands of the dog
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/5004754/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

"Sweat glands are of two types: apocrine and eccrine. Apocrine glands are tubular glands with a coiled secretory portion and a long straight duct that empty into the follicular infundibulum. In domestic animals, all hair follicles have apocrine glands. Apocrine glands in dogs and cats are also present in association with the anal sac, and modified apocrine glands, known as ceruminous glands, are present in the external auditory meatus."

Merck Veterinary Manual
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/72208.htm

I hope this is helpful!

Best regards,
pinkfreud

fjg064 

5 Nov 2007 22:34 UTCMon 5 Nov 2007 - 10:34 pm UTC 

pink.......i have one question referring to the last sentence of paragraph 1 of your answer. "The amount of fluid that a dog  loses by SWEATING is small."  I do not care about regulating body temperature as perhaps that would mean quite a bit of sweating. My question is/was "do dogs sweat?" I take it that dogs do sweat? am i correct?

paragraph 2 of your answer. "unlike humans and horses, dogs do not lose MUCH water due to sweating." I take that to mean that dogs do sweat but not much. and it seems if they have 2 kinds of sweat glands, that they do or can sweat, even if it is miniscule.

It was also stated that glands have 2 kinds of sweat glan ds, one of

Also I accept your answer as given... But as i said my question was "do dogs sweat?"

all those links you showed me, i visited and it seemed that dogs do sweat...

please answer as simply as you can ... "yes" or "no" thank you for the links and when do i rate your answer? now or after...thanks as usual.i am giving you five stars as the explanations were straightforward... and a tip of 3.00... in your follow up ...just say yes or no "do dogs sweat." they need not have to sweat like human beings....it may seen like i am on the border of being crazy, but the bet is with  my all time nemesis who happens to be my best friend, albeit a "know it all" that no researcher or casual reader of u-clue could come even come close to as a know-it-all.....

pinkfreud 

5 Nov 2007 23:11 UTCMon 5 Nov 2007 - 11:11 pm UTC 

To simplify greatly:

Do dogs sweat?

Yes.

fjg064 

5 Nov 2007 23:15 UTCMon 5 Nov 2007 - 11:15 pm UTC 

thank you for your extensive searching. a 3.00 tip is included.....even if the answer was no the 5 star and the tip would have been the same.

pinkfreud 

5 Nov 2007 23:26 UTCMon 5 Nov 2007 - 11:26 pm UTC 

Many thanks for the interesting research project and the tip!

~Pink

probo 

6 Nov 2007 06:26 UTCTue 6 Nov 2007 - 6:26 am UTC 

What a great Answer!

Even though I have owned several dogs over the years, I had no previous knowledge on this topic.

However, I was once told that 'only horses sweat ... gentlemen perspire and ladies glow'.

Probo

fjg064 

6 Nov 2007 17:17 UTCTue 6 Nov 2007 - 5:17 pm UTC 

probo...

no wonder i never had much luck with women, but did ok with the horses. i confused the women and horse portion of th proverb...thanks

probo 

7 Nov 2007 04:59 UTCWed 7 Nov 2007 - 4:59 am UTC 

Hi fjg064

People who confuse women with horses are surprisingly common, the hoi polloi no less.

Please remember that whilst you can safely bet on a horse which just might get to the post in good time, you should never bet on a woman - it's guaranteed that she will always be late.

Probo

Fri 24 Nov 2017 - 10:20 pm UTC - © 2017 Uclue Ltd