Ask a Question | Browse Questions

CANCELLED

Question: How do I get rid of "Enter network password" prompt?

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditionsT&Cs.

billbauer 

4 Feb 2008 04:47 UTCMon 4 Feb 2008 - 4:47 am UTC 

Every time I open Internet Explorer, and every time I navigate to a new web page in Internet Explorer, I get a pop up message "Enter Network Password".  In this window, it says "Please type your user name and password."  The under that it says "Site" and to the right of this is something that looks like an IP address "127.0.0.1".

Under this there are three empty text fields entitled
User Name
Password
Domain

I am also given an option to uncheck the box that is entitled "Save this password in your password list"

At the bottom of this pop up prompt are two buttons:
OK and Cancel.

I have to click on Cancel to make this thing disappear.  I have to do this multiple times for a page to load.  If I ignore those prompts, the page won't load.

I started using Firefox.  Even with Firefox, sometimes I have to deal with this prompt.  I don't even remember when and how this started.

Could you please tell me what I can do to get rid of this annoying problem?

Thank you.

John E 

4 Feb 2008 05:53 UTCMon 4 Feb 2008 - 5:53 am UTC 

bill...

Is Outlook by chance running when you get this message? If so, try shutting down Outlook and seeing if that gets rid of the popups. Let me know in a Clarification.

sublime1

billbauer 

4 Feb 2008 06:18 UTCMon 4 Feb 2008 - 6:18 am UTC 

No, I never use outlook.

Even when IE is not running, sometimes I get this problem when I navigate to a new web page in Firefox.

It is also the case that I don't have any messengers running on my pc.  I can post my latest hyjackthis log here...

John E 

4 Feb 2008 07:05 UTCMon 4 Feb 2008 - 7:05 am UTC 

bill...

Posting your hijackthis log may be helpful, although analyzing these logs takes some time.

sublime1

Patricia 

4 Feb 2008 12:30 UTCMon 4 Feb 2008 - 12:30 pm UTC 

Hi Bill,

The following may help -

Personal Web Servers and HOSTS file
"If you are running Microsoft's web server software (IIS), and you are getting 'Login' pop-up prompts while using a HOSTS file, the solution is to use 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1 for all entries except for the first entry: 127.0.0.1 localhost.
Alex Matulich sends along this tip: this applies to any web server running on the same machine you're browsing from, not just Microsoft's IIS.
Editors Note: you can use the "Replace" function in Notepad (XP) to convert the entries, or HostsMan (see below) has an option for converting the entries to "0.0.0.0". See screenshot for using HostsMan
Kieran Jacobsen sends along this tip: When using your own web server, I have actually made a HTML page with [Blocked by MVPS.org host file]. My web server doesn't have any other services/pages on port 80 so this is a great solution for me.
Gil sends along this tip: if you are using Firefox, and getting the "Password Prompt"
  * In the Address Bar (type) about:config (Hit Enter)
     In the filter (type) ntlm
     Double-click on network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris
     (type) localhost (Hit Enter)"
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm

Pat

billbauer 

4 Feb 2008 13:35 UTCMon 4 Feb 2008 - 1:35 pm UTC 

I tried using HostsMan program to replace the IP to 0.0.0.0, but it tells me that it made 0 changes.  I also followed advice for Firefox, but unfortunately I am still getting this problem... 

I was hoping that this problem was somewhat straightforward...  My operating system happens to be Windows 2000 Server...

billbauer 

4 Feb 2008 13:36 UTCMon 4 Feb 2008 - 1:36 pm UTC 

Sorry, I forgot to thank you, Pat!

asheppard 

7 Feb 2008 20:50 UTCThu 7 Feb 2008 - 8:50 pm UTC 

When this happens to me, its usually because my inbox is full. You said that you're not using Outlook, but how about any other email program? I use Outlook and when this happens, I usually have to log on to webmail and clear my inbox. Deleting the emails from Outlook isn't enough, it just means that Outlook cannot receive mail, because the actual email site cannot receive. If you don't have any email programme open it may be something that you have constantly running in the background that requires a password. If whatever server that's running that program is down, then it means that your computer is trying to connect to it but it can't. In that case, you'll have to call for support.

billbauer 

Cancelled

8 Feb 2008 02:56 UTCFri 8 Feb 2008 - 2:56 am UTC 

Unfortunately, I am still getting this password prompt...

Sat 4 Jul 2015 - 6:58 pm UTC - © 2015 Uclue Ltd