Uclue has now closed (more details). So long and thanks so much for everything.
Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Mon 17 May 2010 - 8:36 pm UTC by Matt Benjamin

Question: Google SketchUp Print To Scale

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditionsT&Cs.

730pm 

14 May 2010 17:09 UTCFri 14 May 2010 - 5:09 pm UTC 

Printing to scale in Google SketchUp (not pro).

The Challenge: Print a 7" x 7" square (2D, not 3D), full size, on single page of 8-1/2" x 11" paper. 

SketchUp seems to want to print it on 4 pages, a little piece of the square on each page.  I have researched this, on and off, for a couple years and can not find an answer.  The common solution seems to be exporting the to a graphics program.

Matt Benjamin 

16 May 2010 20:23 UTCSun 16 May 2010 - 8:23 pm UTC 

Hi 730pm,

I believe that I have found the answer to your problem, but I wanted to post a clarification request first to give you the opportunity to test the solution on your computer before I confirm this as the answer.

In short, it seems to be a bug in SketchUp that is causing the problem of not being able to print full scale models, such as a 7" x 7" square, on one piece of paper. The problem seems to be caused by having too much empty space around the model when you try and print it. To work around the issue, here is what you need to do:

First set the camera to Parallel Projection and one of the standard views, such as Top. Zoom in on your square and adjust the SketchUp window to ensure that the square fits in the SketchUp window with as little empty space as possible around it. When you're finished, it should look like this: http://i41.tinypic.com/34od8jb.jpg

Next go to the Print or Print Preview page and uncheck the "Fit to page" and "Use model extents" options. Then set both Scale options to 1. You should see the Page size width and height options to the left update to be around 7" each, but you may have to toggle the "Use model extents" option on and off again to force it to update. You'll know that it has worked properly when the "Tiled Sheet Print Range" option only shows "Pages from 1 to 1." Your window should look like this when you're done: http://i42.tinypic.com/2cojtc9.jpg

If this hasn't worked for you so far, you may need to try zooming in and panning to make almost every last bit of empty space disappear, or you may need to make your printer margins smaller in File/Print Setup.

You can find a more detailed discussion about this SketchUp issue and the workaround for it on the following blog post: http://www.srww.com/blog/?p=117

Please let me know if this solves your problem so I can confirm it as the answer.

Cheers,
Matt

730pm 

17 May 2010 14:26 UTCMon 17 May 2010 - 2:26 pm UTC 

Brilliant! Thank you.

Matt Benjamin 

Answer

17 May 2010 20:36 UTCMon 17 May 2010 - 8:36 pm UTC 

I'm happy to hear that the solution worked for you. Glad that I could help!

Cheers,
Matt

Mon 22 Jan 2018 - 2:16 pm UTC - © 2018 Uclue Ltd