Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Mon 7 Mar 2011 - 6:50 pm UTC by leader

Question: Uranium

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditionsT&Cs.

2 Mar 2011 22:48 UTCWed 2 Mar 2011 - 10:48 pm UTC 

I am looking for someone to find me, verifiable, measurable and scientific information:

1. Which are the cities in Canada with the highest Cancer cases and what are the rates?
2. What are the rates in the communities that carry out Uranium mining and exploration - Northern Saskatchewan Canada
3. Recent studies that deal with exploration and mining of Uranium.

4. Rabbit Lake Mine 1989 spill of two million litres of contaminated mine water, and faced environmental charges for that spill and previously for effluent violations. - What are the health effects of this water

Former Researcher

3 Mar 2011 02:26 UTCThu 3 Mar 2011 - 2:26 am UTC 

Hi zzzreyes!

Would provinces cancer data be fine instead of cities?

The tricky part however seems to be (at least upon initial research) will be the Rabbit Lake Mine. Are you talking about the present health hazards of its water or during the time of the spill in 1989?

4 Mar 2011 20:07 UTCFri 4 Mar 2011 - 8:07 pm UTC 

present and past. all info you can find.

4 Mar 2011 20:16 UTCFri 4 Mar 2011 - 8:16 pm UTC 

Need cities, got to have a comperative basis to prove that the cities of saskatchewan that carry out or are around uranium exploration and mining are not higher cancer cases.

7 Mar 2011 18:50 UTCMon 7 Mar 2011 - 6:50 pm UTC 

Dear zzzreyes:

I have carried out extensive research on the subject. Actually, it was a real challenge to locate the type of information you require. I am answering this question because I think that I can guide you to the source that is needed to proceed with your research.

This information may not be available, publicly. It is because the Census Bureau of Canada publishes figures for 160 health regions instead of the individual cities. On my inquiry, the representative from Statistics Canada verified that the city data is only provided on request. Therefore, I could not locate an authentic source that will address the issue. Nevertheless, the Statistics Canada website provides access to another database where you can compare cancer incidence rates and related cancer topics by large metropolitan areas (e.g. Vancouver, Toronto, Mississauga, Montreal, etc) or health groups. I will also explain who can help you get the city data in the next section. Anyway, here is the link to the table:

The rates in the communities that carry out Uranium mining and exploration is available from the official website of each health group. For example, almost all uranium mines in North Saskatchewan are located in Mamawetan Churchill Hill Health Region (~22,000 inhabitants) therefore you can gather a comprehensive cancer data from the website. For a brief overview of the Canada’s health regions, please see:

Health Regions in Canada

Canadian Health Regions and web address

Mamawetan Churchill Hill Health Region

Mamawetan Churchill Hill Health Region Information & Annual Health Reports

You can compare and contrast all 160 health groups from the table

Compare all regional health communities of Saskatchewan for cancer rates:

Saskatchewan Cancer Control Report: Profiling Cancer Prevalence 1984-2003

Northern Saskatchewan Health Indicator Report

Cancer Database

>>>>>>> You can get help from Mamawetan Churchill Hill Health Region to obtain the city data. They can get access to Canada cancer registry information.

Canadian Cancer Registry

What are Peer Groups

Following are a variety of studies on the topic. I will also advise you to use Google Scholar, and extract relevant articles. You can get many free articles (indicated by PDF on the right hand side).

Uranium Mines in Canada

Uranium Mining is a well regulated Industry

Uranium Hazards

Health Studies for Saskatchewan Uranium Miners

Radon in Canada’s Uranium Industry

No human cancer of any type has ever been seen as a result of exposure to natural or depleted uranium.

Sustainability of Uranium Mining and Milling: Toward Quantifying Resources and Eco-Efficiency

Uranium Provinces of North America—Their Definition, Distribution, and Models

Sustainability Aspects of Uranium Mining: Towards Accurate Accounting?

Uranium Mining in North Saskatchewan: A Public Private Transition

Radon releases from Australian uranium mining and milling projects: assessing the UNSCEAR approach

Uranium: Sustainable Resource or Limit to Growth?

Inventory and Environmental effects of Uranium Mines

Rocks to reactors: Uranium exploration and the market

Uranium mining in Australia: Environmental impact, radiation releases and rehabilitation

The mineralogy of arsenic in uranium mine tailings at the Rabbit Lake In-pit Facility, northern Saskatchewan, Canada

Radionuclides in the lichen-caribou-human food chain near uranium mining operations in northern Saskatchewan, Canada.

Distribution of Iron-Oxidizing Bacteria in the Nordic Uranium Tailings Deposit, Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada

Trace elements in vegetation and soils over the Key Lake uranium-nickel orebody northern Saskatchewan, Canada

Chronic Ingestion of Uranium in Drinking Water: A Study of Kidney Bioeffects in Humans

Migration of acidic groundwater seepage from uranium-tailings impoundments, 1. Field study and conceptual hydrogeochemical model

Human health implications of environmental contaminants in Arctic Canada: A review

Properties, use and health effects of depleted uranium (DU): a general overview

Exposure Pathways and Health Effects Associated with Chemical and Radiological Toxicity of Natural Uranium

First Analysis of Mortality and Occupational Radiation Exposure based on the National Dose Registry of Canada

The History of Uranium Mining and the Navajo People

Radiation exposure of members of the public resulting from operation of the ranger Uranium mine

Mortality of lung cancer in Ontario Uranium Miners

Occupational Health Hazard in Mining

Lung Cancer in radon exposed miners and estimation of risk from indoor exposure

Mortality among a cohort of Uranium mill workers: An update

Medical affects of internal Contamination with Uranium

4. Rabbit Lake Mine 1989 spill of two million litres of contaminated mine water, and faced environmental charges for that spill and previously for effluent violations. - What are the health effects of this water.

It seems that the only and most widely publicized study on the subject was conducted by Swanson, SM.
Results of the study of effects of the Rabbit Lake minewater spill, November 6-7, 1989. Swanson, SM
Swanson, S.M. 1989. Results of the Study of Effects of the Rabbit Lake Mine Water Spill, November 6-7,1989. Report for Mines Pollution Control Branch, Saskatchewan Environment and Public Safety, Prince Albert, SK. SRC Report E-2130-2-E-89.

You can get the study from Saskatchewan Research Council who may also offer relevant papers.

Available from:

Examples of SRC Research

Related Material

Integrating Human Health into Environmental Impact Assessment: Case Studies of Canada’s Northern Mining Resource Sector

CNA papers (Canada Nuclear Agency)

Recent Water Management Reports

Rabbit Lake Operations: Water Management Project

Reverse Osmosis Brine Treatment in Rabbit Lake Mill Operation

Wise Uranium has a very useful set of archive (you can sort by country and the subject)

I understand that this may be a part of a comprehensive answer that you require but I am very confident that this is the most that we (researchers) can get from secondary research. Please feel free to clarify.

Former Researcher

7 Mar 2011 19:40 UTCMon 7 Mar 2011 - 7:40 pm UTC 

For the 1st part of this question, you can also use the most recent set of studies.

11 Mar 2011 05:22 UTCFri 11 Mar 2011 - 5:22 am UTC 

This doesn't really answer my question :( I guess, it exhausted... there is nothing out there that has specific numbers and lists any city as highest for cancer per population or anything like that?

Former Researcher

11 Mar 2011 07:37 UTCFri 11 Mar 2011 - 7:37 am UTC 

Yes Zzzreyes, there is not enough data to compare individual cities. The only way one could do it is to get in contact with Canada Cancer Registry or any of the official health groups so that they may provide you such access. Actually, I did not want to post it as an official answer before consulting the rep of Canada Statistics. They told me that even Census division data is not yet published. Yet, they confirmed that either Cancer Canada registry or local health groups will be able to provide such a data. Therefore, I provided the links to these organizations. Anyway, let me take a look and see if I can find anything substantial. I will post a clarification on Monday. If I find something concrete, I will post it before Monday.

Former Researcher

14 Mar 2011 20:58 UTCMon 14 Mar 2011 - 8:58 pm UTC 

Dear zzzyrus:

Two days of extensive research has nearly exhausted my resources. I am pretty sure that the data is not public nor is there any viable list of Canadian rankings. Actually, Canada provides extensive summaries only for the individual health group regions.  Cancer incidence rates for cities, town and villages are available but they are only made public, on request. Here is an example of a hierarchy of health group

Here is the contact for Statistics Canada (see standards of service to public)

I was really surprised that community information for all major parameters in each town are available but the only thing missing is health profile. Ahh!

Honestly, I couldn't find the answer to your request. I think that this information is not available on the internet. Please feel free to ask for a refund. Sorry for the inconvenience.

15 Mar 2011 15:24 UTCTue 15 Mar 2011 - 3:24 pm UTC 

Thanks for trying.

Fri 27 Nov 2015 - 12:55 am UTC - © 2015 Uclue Ltd