Uclue has now closed (more details). So long and thanks so much for everything.
Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Thu 28 Apr 2011 - 9:48 pm UTC by Daniel Kniffler

Question: In gmail, how to bulk add contacts for recipients of all sent emails?

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditionsT&Cs.
The customer tipped the researcher $5.00

bigjosh 

27 Apr 2011 01:28 UTCWed 27 Apr 2011 - 1:28 am UTC 

In GMAIL, I'd like to add a contact for every person I've ever sent and email to (all emails in Sent Items folder).

I'd like the resulting contacts to have the correct email address and, if present, the person's name.

I'd like to do this as painlessly as possible and without having to install any software locally.

Thanks!

-josh

David Sarokin 

27 Apr 2011 03:35 UTCWed 27 Apr 2011 - 3:35 am UTC 

bigjosh,

Gmail has a built-in Contacts Manager and, unless I'm way off base, it should do what you need. Have you played with it all? If not, go to your main Gmail page and click "Contacts" over on the left-hand side. Then click "Other Contacts" or "Suggested Contacts" or similar categories like that, and see if that's the list you need.

Like I said, maybe I'm totally off base here, so let me know how that goes.

David

bigjosh 

27 Apr 2011 13:34 UTCWed 27 Apr 2011 - 1:34 pm UTC 

I'm not sure how google figures out which contacts to suggest, but for me it only suggests 44 of the several thousand addresses in my Sent folder.

If I could get google to suggest *all* of these addresses, that would be great, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Thanks!

-josh

David Sarokin 

27 Apr 2011 13:38 UTCWed 27 Apr 2011 - 1:38 pm UTC 

What are the numbers associated with the other categories in your Contacts list?

My understanding is that any message to which you ever replied or forwarded becomes an actual contact, and all others you've sent become suggested contacts. It could be that some combination of your contact categories will get you the list you're after.

Also, click on the suggested list to see if there are really only 44 contacts...I've noticed the numbers in parentheses don't always jive with the actual list.

David

bigjosh 

27 Apr 2011 13:47 UTCWed 27 Apr 2011 - 1:47 pm UTC 

I think they stopped the "autoadding" of contacts a while ago becuase people were complaining.

I've gone though all my contact groups and none have all the addresses I am looking for. Not even close.

I think this will require an external program or script to go though all the emails and extract the addresses and add them as contacts. I just want to be sure that someone has not already done the work before I write it myself.

Thanks!

-josh

Roger Browne 

27 Apr 2011 14:33 UTCWed 27 Apr 2011 - 2:33 pm UTC 

Hi josh,

Are you sure you don't have a link called "Other Contacts" in the sidebar after you click on the main "Contacts" button?

If not, use the Contact Manager search box and search for a single blank (i.e. type one space into the search box and press Enter). This should show all your contact groups first, with everything else grouped at the end.

If you can see the addresses there, click the checkbox of the first one, then shift-click the checkbox of the last one on the page (to select them all), then from the drop-down box above the addresses select the contact group into which you wish to move them.

If that doesn't work for you, scroll down to the second-last line of the Gmail window and click on "Basic HTML". Click "Contacts" in the sidebar, then "All Contacts" in the colored stripe above the list of contacts.

If you still can't see the contacts that you want to add, then I'm sorry I'm out of ideas.

Regards,
eiffel

bigjosh 

27 Apr 2011 14:56 UTCWed 27 Apr 2011 - 2:56 pm UTC 

I do have an "Other Contacts" group with about 200 contacts in there, but I can find hundreds of addresses that are in my Sent Items that are not in Other Contacts.

I should add that most of my Sent Items came from from my email client and not from using the GMAIL web interface. It looks like contacts only get added to the Other Contacts when you compose an email using the web interface and not via SMTP or IMAP.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

-josh

David Sarokin 

27 Apr 2011 23:44 UTCWed 27 Apr 2011 - 11:44 pm UTC 

You can enable IMAP in Gmail:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75725

and once enabled, transfer or copy your Sent folder to another email manager, like Outlook or Lotus Notes.

It could be that, once transferred, you can create a contacts list more easily in another system, and even back-export the contacts into Gmail.

I'm just speculating, but I at least wanted to offer it up as an option.

David

Daniel Kniffler 

Answer

28 Apr 2011 21:48 UTCThu 28 Apr 2011 - 9:48 pm UTC 

Hi Josh,

I think the script you are looking for has already been written. There are various versions using the IMAP interface which essentially automates the approach David was suggesting, of downloading to a local client and extracting via software tools.

The most user-friendly version, and the one I would suggest, is the one at https://gmailextract.com/

The site will scrape any labelled batch of email from your Gmail account (including the built-in labels INBOX and SENT [and even JUNK]), and send you a csv of contacts which can be uploaded straight back into Gmail as a contact list. It seems to keep as much firstname/surname information as is available, and takes only a few minutes to work.

- You will need IMAP enabled in Gmail, but it sounds like you may have done so already? If not, see David's link.

- You may want to change your password temporarily before sending the credentials to the extractor, and then back again once it's completed.

===

If you're *really* paranoid about giving any details to a website, the other options would be:

1. A downloadable program (such as http://www.sobolsoft.com/gmailextractemail/ - so at least you can run WireShark or something to see where the info goes). But this does go against the no-installing prerequisite.

2. Running a bare script. I was able to use the perl script that is posted here: http://ulrith.livejournal.com/484386.html (English http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://ulrith.livejournal.com/484386.html ), but only after some wrangling with Perl dependencies. Depending on your setup, this may involve installing extra modules, and/or other headaches.
Furthermore, the source as posted doesn't print out names, only email addresses, so some tinkering may be required to get them back.

3. Using your local email client as a go-between, as suggested above.

I don't know which client you are using, but many will have the capacity to generate a contact list for you.

For instance:

- Outlook (2007) can apparently do it natively, but the method is a bit obscure. There are instructions here:
http://thetechieguy.com/2008/04/22/extracting-email-address-from-outlook-2007-folder/

- Thunderbird (I think) requires an add-on (possibly counts as installing local software), "Address Crawler", that adds the ability to harvest email addresses from any local folder into a new or existing Address Book. Then you can use Thunderbird's native export function to get the address book into a csv file for Gmail.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/email-address-crawler/

If you find this method best but have a different email client, let me know if you need help finding a way to get that client to export contact details, and I'll search again.

I hope you find one of these approaches suitable!

Ben

bigjosh 

1 May 2011 16:32 UTCSun 1 May 2011 - 4:32 pm UTC 

Perfect - the GmailExtract.com site is *exactly* what I was looking for.

I also appreciate the thoughts on security. Too many people are willing to just hand over their username and passwords without even considering where the info is going.

Thanks!

-josh

bigjosh 

17 May 2011 15:48 UTCTue 17 May 2011 - 3:48 pm UTC 

For the record in case anyone else stumbles on this thread, after 2 weeks, I have still not gotten any response from GMAILEXTRACT.COM, so I wouldn't bother submitting info there.

Will post back if I come up with a better solutiuon.

-josh

sibon85 

27 Feb 2013 20:39 UTCWed 27 Feb 2013 - 8:39 pm UTC 

Josh, did you ever get a response? Is this just a big scam?

Thanks

jvallery 

27 Feb 2013 22:35 UTCWed 27 Feb 2013 - 10:35 pm UTC 

Hi All --

I just wanted to reply to Josh's complain formally.   I'm not sure about his specific problem as it was 2 years ago.   MineMyMail (minemymail.com) is the relaunch of gmailextract.com.   We're a very legit offering that covers this exact scenario.

If you have concerns of our crediability you can see our privacy policy at www.minemymail.com/About/Privacy

I'd also personally invite anyone to directly email me as jason@minemymail.com with questions on how we can do a better job at ensuring your information is safe.

Thanks

Mon 22 Jan 2018 - 2:17 pm UTC - © 2018 Uclue Ltd