Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Thu 21 Jun 2007 - 11:22 pm UTC by pinkfreud

Question: How to remove or kill stumps from small saplings sawed down

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditionsT&Cs.
The customer tipped the researcher $3.00

21 Jun 2007 22:02 UTCThu 21 Jun 2007 - 10:02 pm UTC 

We recently cleared some some small saplings from our yard with a chainsaw.  The samplings are anywhere from .5 to 2" in diameter and anywhere from 2"-6" in height.

We would like an easy way to permanently remove these chemically or any other method.  I am OK if it temporarily kills other grass within a small radius.

A stump grinder does not appear to be a valid option as it is geared for much larger tree stumps.

21 Jun 2007 23:22 UTCThu 21 Jun 2007 - 11:22 pm UTC 

Trees can be amazingly resilient, and can come back from the dead like zombies. Some years back, my father cut down numerous small trees on his property. He was surprised to see that the tree stumps began to put out new green shoots almost immediately, with every indication that the trees would eventually be back in full force. My dad consulted the agriculture extension of a local university, and they advised him to drill holes in the stumps and use herbicidess which would kill the root systems beneath the stumps and prevent regrowth. He was told that this is more effective with trees that have localized, non-invasive root systems; trees with highly invasive root systems that extend a good distance may require multiple treatments. The chemical that my father used was ammonium sulfamate, which he purchased as a local chemical supply store. This chemical is no longer marketed as an herbicide in the United States. Today most stump-removing products work by accelerating the natural decomposition of the stump, while surrounding vegetation is unharmed.

I have gathered info for you on several products that should meet your needs.

PowerForce® Brush Killer Concentrate

Spectracide Brush Killer

Hi-Yield Stump Remover

Green Light Stump Remover

Bonide Stump-Out

Spectracide® Stump Remover

Revenge Tree Stump Remover

Some articles on tree stump removal:

Stump Removal from Home Grounds

Removing Tree Stumps,16588,213280,00.html

How to Kill a Tree Using Herbicides

How to remove a tree, and then what to do with the stump?

This was the search string that gave me the best results:

kill OR remove tree stump

I hope this is helpful!

Best regards,

22 Jun 2007 00:37 UTCFri 22 Jun 2007 - 12:37 am UTC 

Please excuse the bizarre typo "herbicidess" in line 7 of my answer. I meant "herbicides," of course, although "herbicidess" does have a certain charm. Could be a supervillain in a comic book, perhaps a sidekick for Batman's nemesis Poison Ivy. ;-)

22 Jun 2007 00:55 UTCFri 22 Jun 2007 - 12:55 am UTC 

Wow, that is an excellent response and in just a few hours. 

There are numerous options so I'm sure that I will be able to find the products mentioned.  Also, your past experience is an added bonus.

This was my first post on Uclue but definitely won't be my last!

22 Jun 2007 01:22 UTCFri 22 Jun 2007 - 1:22 am UTC 

Thank you very much for the tip!

Tue 1 Dec 2015 - 7:25 am UTC - © 2015 Uclue Ltd