Question: Need backup software that fits these specifications.

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditionsT&Cs.

happyengineer 

15 Mar 2017 05:42 UTCWed 15 Mar 2017 - 5:42 am UTC 

There are numerous applications available for backing things up on a PC. I have found it difficult to find one with the features I want:

- Backups must occur to hard drives that I can swap. If I want to back up a 4TB drive, but I only have two 3TB drives, I want to be able to put one in, back up until it's full, then swap drives and back up the remainder to the next.

- Backups must be saved as normal files. I don't want it to use any sort of custom format. I want to be able to mount the drive under Windows normally and see all my files there. They should be saved to directory structures that mirror the structures that existed on the source drives.

- I should be able to run incremental backups where I save changed files. These should be saved the same as above.
If I back up drives C:, D:, and E:, I expect to see directories like DRIVE_C/foo/blah/something.txt on the incremental drive. I don't want partial files backed up. If something changes, I'm fine with it backing up the entire file.

- It should be possible to pause the backup process or even stop it and then continue the process later on.
I have found that 30MB/s is the fastest that file copying can go regardless of the source (SSD or network drive)
or destination (same drive or drive mounted over usb). So this means it can take days to back up TB. I have to
be able to stop and start that process.

- I am willing to pay up to $400 for the software if it does all of this exactly.

- If the software can add extra data for error correction or something then that's a bonus, but not required.

If no such software exists, I would prioritize in the order above. So drive swapping is most important, saving as normal files is second most important, etc.

David Sarokin 

15 Mar 2017 12:36 UTCWed 15 Mar 2017 - 12:36 pm UTC 

happyengineer,

Welcome Back! It's been quite a while.

For a lot less than $400, you can get a honking big external hard drive like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0040HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHLGC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1489580877&sr=1-3&keywords=external%2Bhard%2Bdrives%2Bfor%2Bwindows%2B10&th=1

Seems to me you can copy your directories directly to this drive in the manner you describe, either manually or automatically using the drive's own built-in backup software. Is there something about that option that doesn't meet your specs?

Just trying to get a handle on your request...

David

happyengineer 

15 Mar 2017 16:50 UTCWed 15 Mar 2017 - 4:50 pm UTC 

It's actually not big enough. I already have a NAS and I want to do full and incremental backups of it. I already use online backup solutions for the smaller stuff, but I want to backup the entire thing onto hard drives that I can store somewhere.

I currently am doing this manually by calculating what can fit on each drive and then just copying that subset of files to each drive, but it is tiresome and I still can't do incremental backups.

David Sarokin 

15 Mar 2017 17:11 UTCWed 15 Mar 2017 - 5:11 pm UTC 

OK. I'm a bit out of my element at this point, but perhaps something along these lines would be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ojjnRUsrAU
How To Backup To Multiple Drives

Sat 25 Nov 2017 - 3:50 am UTC - © 2017 Uclue Ltd