Ask a Question | Browse Questions

ANSWERED on Sun 21 Oct 2007 - 12:57 pm UTC by nancy

Question: Removing lime scale from glass shower screen

Please carefully read the Disclaimer and Terms & conditionsT&Cs.

21 Oct 2007 10:09 UTCSun 21 Oct 2007 - 10:09 am UTC 

I live in a hard water area and my glass shower doors have become coated in hard, white lime scale. So far, based on my own online research, I have tried spray on lime scale remover, vinager, and glass cleaner with steel wool pads, all to no avail.

Could you please find me a short list of suggested methods for removing the lime scale.

21 Oct 2007 12:57 UTCSun 21 Oct 2007 - 12:57 pm UTC 

Hi Eppy.

Here are some suggestions. You can Google various product names to learn more about them and where to buy them.

12 Tips on Removing Hard Water Stains from Creative Homemaking:

Among the recommendations: Bounce dryer sheets, Shout laundry stain remover, Kaboom, and Lemi-Shine. (Btw, Someone here suggested rubbing alcohol, but I have found comments from others who found that only made the problem worse, so perhaps that's not worth trying!)

From the Once Upon a Life Forum:
Zap, CLR, and Mr. Clean Erasers are recommended.

Here's a press release about two new complementary products, Bring-it-On and Pro-tect Shield, to remove and prevent lime build-up:
The product's website:
(Click on "Remove Water Spots" in the menu at left for easiest navigation at the site.)

ThriftyFun forum on lime and hard water stains:

Many of the posts here contain detailed explanations of how to get good results using such products as polishing compound and Barkeeper's Friend. AMAZ and Orange Pledge are also among the recommended products.

iVillage's GardenWeb

Don Aslett's Once-Over Hard Water Remover, Glass Wax (now marketed as No-Streek Gel-Gloss), and Hope's Perfect Glass are recommended. There's another endorsement of using a wet dryer sheet and soap to remove film.

I saw some favorable mentions of another Aslett product, Showers-n-Stuff. Aslett's items appear to be available only via his site:

Once Over

As you can see, products that worked great for some people didn't work well for others, so you're probably going to have to try several products to find the one that works best for you.

Good luck!

Best regards,

21 Oct 2007 13:05 UTCSun 21 Oct 2007 - 1:05 pm UTC 

Comprehensive answer - and a nice summary of each link on answer page. It is obvious that Nancy actually read each link to make sure that it was relevant before posting the answer.

Its so nice to have a professional research service again!

Toby Lee Spiegel 

21 Oct 2007 16:29 UTCSun 21 Oct 2007 - 4:29 pm UTC 

Nancy's answer is quite good. 

I'll tell you what I do.  I live in the desert where the water is also very hard. Once a week while the glass is still wet, I take an old terry cloth small towel and soak it in rubbing alcohol.  Give the shower doors a rubdown and they are as clear as a bell.  Additionally, after my daily showers, I use a towel and wipe down the shower stall walls and the shower doors to keep them dry - (I do this while in the shower before putting on my lotion.)

Best regards,
tlspiegel / TL

21 Oct 2007 17:57 UTCSun 21 Oct 2007 - 5:57 pm UTC 

Thanks Eppy! Hope you find a product that works for you!

14 Jan 2008 02:25 UTCMon 14 Jan 2008 - 2:25 am UTC 

Bring-It-ON cleaner made short work of my calcified windows. And Pro-Tect Shield prevents build-up.

8 Apr 2008 00:20 UTCTue 8 Apr 2008 - 12:20 am UTC 

Use a foaming product that contains phosphoric acid.  Phosphoric acid will lower the pH.  Lower pH levels have a tendacy to go after rust and scale.  I believe "Scrubbing Bubbles" contains this chemical.  Spray it on and let it foam up.  The more it goes after the scale, the more foaming you should see.  The lime and scale will neutralize the phosphoric acid very quickly, so you may have to apply and reapply until it disolves all of the scale that may be accumulated in the micrscopic pits and scratches in the glass.

Tue 13 Oct 2015 - 4:43 pm UTC - © 2015 Uclue Ltd